Wednesday, July 23, 2014

How to Read Crochet Diagram Patterns


I'm not 100% that's what they're called, but if you crochet and search Pinterest for patterns, you probably know what I'm talking about. If not, check out this site. They have tons of fun project ideas,  but most of them offer a diagram rather than a written pattern. I've heard some people say that they don't understand what everything on the chart means, so I thought I'd dedicate a post to showing the basics.

I am not an artist, and I drew this diagram...without a ruler, so don't judge. This is for educational purposes only. This isn't a real pattern. It would probably look really weird if you tried it out. But, hey, if you want to try it, be my guest. Now, let us begin.


We'll go row by row, starting at the bottom. Those little ovals lining the bottom represent chains. Anytime you see an oval, it means chain. When there is an oval on the side of a row, like you can see on either end of each of the rows I drew, it means the chain that starts the row. These are usually after you turn when crocheting rows, or after you connect when crocheting rounds.

The row right above the oval-chains might look like little, lowercase Ts. These are single crochets. Sometimes they're drawn more like an X, but most of the patterns I've seen uses little Ts, so I drew those. You can also see them on the top row.

Above the single crochets, you have what look like mixes between Ts and Fs. These represent double crochets. If you look at the symbols towards the right end of that row, you will see that the lower line is kind of tilted. That's how you will normally see them. I realized that a little late, and I didn't want to erase and start over. Just remember that the double crochet symbol will resemble the ones on the right. Note: when there are more lines than two, that means a longer stitch. For example, if there are three lines, it will be a triple crochet. Four lines would be quadruple crochet, etc.

The next row up shows a little bit of a pattern. I'll explain each little bit. To start, there are three vertical ovals - the starting chains. Then you have a cluster of three double crochets. They join together at the bottom because they all are made in the same stitch. If you look at the bottom of that row, you can see that two double crochets from the row before are skipped, and the cluster is drawn just above the third double crochet in. That is where you make your cluster. Directly to the left of that cluster is a chain. Then, another two skipped double crochets and a double crochet cluster. This pattern goes until the end.

The top row starts with a chain, and then you would make a single crochet. Then three chains, single crochet, chain 3, single crochet, etc. until the end.

I hope this helps someone. There are some fun patterns that are made in diagrams. Now that you know how to read them, get out and make something. :)

If you have any questions, please let me know, and I will clarify.

No comments:

Post a Comment